Lannae's Food and Travel

I hope you like my food and travel blog.

November 16, 2013

Got my Fricco on

Fricco with pickled peppers

I made a bunch of lacto-fermented pickled peppers with onions last month.  We have been snacking on them at work.  I have been sharing them with my friends.  Everyone loves them!  They are crunchy, salty, sour, garlicky and delicious!  The pepper pickles are good on hamburgers.  They are great just as a snack.

I was looking to make something new with the pickled peppers and onions, and I decided to try making a fricco.  At City House, there is a fricco appetizer that is so good, and I normally share one every time I go to City House.  I used the City House fricco as my inspiration.  A fricco is a cheese cracker made by baking or skillet frying cheese until it is toasty and crunchy.  I got some Kenny's Nena cheese which is a variety of Tomme, and tried my experiment.  I started out skillet frying my pickled peppers and onions.  Then I added a bunch of grated Nena cheese to the skillet.  When the bottom of the cheese was crispy, I  turned over my cheese pancake to crisp up the second side.

The verdict:  I really liked the flavor of the pickled peppers in the fricco.  The cheese texture was not what I hoped.  The Nena gave a gritty and chewy texture.  If I were to make a fricco again, I would use a smoother cheese.  City House has used Sweetwater Buttermilk Cheddar, so I might try that cheese next time.   Or, I will call Kenny's Cheese and ask them for a recommendation for a cheese that will melt with a smoother texture than the Nena.  Besides the texture, I really like my pickled peppers and onions fricco.



1 Comments:

At 11/18/13, 1:59 PM, Anonymous Lesley Eats said...

Oh man, what a great idea. I love City House's fricco!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home